The Clothes make the Woman

So, I’m not generally a conceited or shallow person…but then again, who wouldn’t say that?  Perhaps what I mean to say is that material things, clothes especially have never really had that much importance to me.  That said, I read this great prompt in one of my test books, so I really wanted to use that for my blog entry.  Here goes…

 

What do you wear to feel confident?

 

Now let me preface this by saying that I don’t have an “outfit” per se.  I’ve never really been good at making outfits.  If I have a really important even to go to, I always pull Paula aside a day or two before and make her put something together for me.  However, I have a few things that I always pull out when I want to feel confident or sexy.

 

The first thing I always go for is my favorite skirt.  I picked it up off of the rack at a store I went to with Paula and Edana.  It’s a little shorter than knee length and has a wavy brown pattern throughout the base of the skirt.  It hugs my hips perfectly (what hips I have) and comes down in what I’m told is a pencil shape.  The bottom edge of the skirt is accented with this shining gold fabric, that always seems to catch the light.  When I wear my skirt, I can’t help but pose.  I catch myself doing it without even realizing it.  My turns and spins, which in normal clothes are quick and deft (read clumsy and indecisive) turn into amazing twirls of ecstasy.  My hem plays just above my knees and the wind sweeps up around my thighs.  When I wear my my skirt I am not just Zuri Wallace:  Teacher.  I am Zuri Wallace:  Wind Goddess.  I float lightly on the breeze.  I command gales with a stroke of my hand.  I rise above.

I have my mother’s legs, that is one thing (along with hair) that I got from her.  I have never been as tall as I’d like to be.  I’ll never be an black Amazon like Paula, but I come from a family of women with beautiful long legs.  I feel like a warrior or a biblical character – my mother had long legs as did her mother before her!  But hey, there aren’t a lot of physical features of mine that I’m comfortable with.  It’s like that song says, “You look inside yourself, take the things you like, and try and love the things you took.”

 

The other old staple of my wardrobe are dangly earrings.  I’m not real selective on look or type, I just love earrings that are dangly and metallic.  I know it’s no fashion revelation, but earrings are my thing.  I never really did bracelets or rings or necklaces.  Suffice to say, I’m not a big accessorize.  But get me in a store full of dangly sparkly earrings and I will lose my my shit.  I swear, I’m ten years younger on the spot.  Does anyone else have this issue?  I don’t keep many keepsakes (totally not true) but I have a jewelry box that’s half full of broken earrings that I swear I’m going to get fixed one day.  They all have some sort of special meaning to me because I wore them to some event or another or some relative gave them to me.  Some day, when I’m a rich and well paid teacher, I’m going to find a jewelry repair place and dump the whole box on the counter.

I’m not really sure what it is I like so much about earrings.  Maybe I just like my ears, although I find that hard to believe because I can’t say as I’ve ever spent a significant amount of time admiring or even inspecting my ears.  Maybe it goes well with the afro.  Maybe it’s some left over seventies movie desire to be Pam Grier (I heart Pam Grier!).

 

Just know, when I die I want to be buried in my favorite skirt and an enormous pair of silver hoop earrings.  Unless I’m cremated!  Do I want to be cremated?  That’s creepy, but being buried is so…egotistical.  I don’t know, don’t really want to think about it, plenty of time for that later.  Maybe that could be another blog down the line.

No comments:

Post a Comment